Wednesday, October 24, 2007

JUST A TINY FRIENDSHIP GAME

I would like to ask your indulgence as I quote from a book authored by Harold J. Sala – “Today Can Be the Best Day of Your Life”. He says on the Preface quoted here in part:

“Is it possible that today can be the best day of your life? I believe it can – perhaps not in quite the same way that your graduation from college with honors, or your wedding day, or the time you were promoted to chief executive officer of your company was a ‘best day’.

But today is the only day which is yours. Yesterday is a closed chapter and tomorrow has not yet come. Today is the tomorrow you thought about yesterday. Today is the only part of eternity which you hold within your grasp and power.

As I have grown older, I have come to realize that we must never presume on tomorrow, but live today to the fullest. This means celebrating the moment with those whom you love -- your best friend, your husband or wife, your children. Live today as though it were the only day you could ever be sure about. “ Unquote.

Beautiful words, right?. I guess this is what we should learn but are never really good at learning ---instead allowing our ‘todays’ breeze by as we engross ourselves deeply in careers, work, ambitions, and other various roles we take up in life. We feverishly make plans for the ‘future’… but pay no attention to the precious moments of the present day. These things of the day pass so quickly—and once gone can no longer be retrieved. Unnoticed we let precious time with family and children, people we appreciate and love, golden sunsets and sunrises, walks in the park, chats with friends, and pleasant surprises slip through our fingers.

In the same book, he writes about friendship. To quote:

“Have you ever had the feeling that you ought to pick up the phone and call someone, or drop by for a visit, but then someone interrupted you, or your phone rang?

Charles Hanson Towne knew something of this when he wrote the following poem:

Around the corner I have a friend
In this city that has no end;
Yet days go by and weeks rush on,
And before I know it a week has gone,
And I never see my old friend’s face,
For life is a swift and a terrible race.
He knows I like him just as well
As in the days when I rang his bell
And he rang mine.
We were younger then
And now we are busy, tired men;
Tired with playing a foolish game,
Tired with trying to make a name.
He knows I like him just as well
As in the days when I rang his bell
And he rang mine.
We were younger then
And now we are busy, tired men;
Tired with playing a foolish game,
Tired with trying to make a name.
“Here’s a telegram, Jim died today,”
That’s what we get and deserve in the end:
Around the corner, a lost friend.


Your life will be a great deal more cheerful if you take advantage of the opportunity to say, “Thank you,” or, “I love you,” or “I appreciate what you have done.” Never make the mistake of thinking that he knows, or she knows. Tell him. Tell her. (Unquote)

Now I'd like a little game with you, my blog friends. To put this principle to the test ---

in the next 3 days after you have read this piece, look up an old friend you havent heard from for sometime and renew the friendship. Then come back in here and share all about that experience with us. Takers, anyone? :-) It'll be good looking forward to your stories. God bless. See yah!

posted on Wednesday, January 11, 2006 4:57 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment