Wednesday, October 24, 2007

ONE MORNING IN THE LIFE OF A WORKING MOM

Jolted out of my sleep by my eldest daughter who was pulling at my toes as usual, I heard a commotion in the other room. Nothing new, I thought, mornings in this house are always bustling and chaotic. Looking at the clock I noticed that I was running late, so I hurried to shower and dress for work. Halfway through brushing my teeth, my youngest girl, Malen, burst into the room crying that her sister wouldn’t give her the ribbon she picked out for school. She was screaming at the top of her lungs urging me to do something. So to quiet her down I went into the next room and asked my second daughter, Christine, why she held on to that particular ribbon when it was what the younger one wanted. Obviously piqued, she replied that she wanted it for today. Goodness, out of a dozen ribbons on the shelf they both decide to wear THE SAME ribbon??!!! Girls!! I shrieked. Far from being intimidated at all, they stood their ground and menacingly scowled at each other. I saw daggers flying when an idea hit me. “Okay, you two go pick another ribbon; I’m wearing this one!” They looked at me incredulously but obediently did as told. I rushed back to my room passing Amchit on the hallway who grinned from ear to ear obviously amused by the whole thing. “Hah! You’d sure make a delicious-looking grown up with pink polka dotted ribbons in her hair-- in corporate uniform.” I glared at her and rushed back to my dressing when Christine wailed coming towards me “Ma, I need three more to my list of vitamins. So I rattled off the answers while straightening my skirt. “Oh Mommy!” again came Malen’s voice from the living room “How was Manuel Quezon like as a boy? Need to report this at ten today.” “What in heavens! Why didn’t you do that last night?” I replied. “I slept” she answered back sheepishly. At this precise moment, their dad honked impatiently calling everybody out and everybody scrambled to the door. That was when Amchit noticed that I had the wrong shoe on! So back into the house I flew and down to the car again in two minutes flat. “Oooweee! The fastest woman alive!” cheered the girls laughing.

Well, to make a long story short, we made it through that morning. Of course I didn’t wear that odd polka dotted ribbon Geezz! And as for that Manuel Quezon stuff, surely he would have had a normal boyhood just like any other --- and luckily that’s what she wrote. But I wonder just what tomorrow's going to be like?!

posted on Friday, November 18, 2005 6:15 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment